Sadness. It appears Community might get the axe. NBC has put the show on hiatus due to poor ratings. But everyone I’ve talked to who has seen it, loves it. It’s just that geeks aren’t who advertisers want to sell too, and we’re also the ones who know how to work a DVR or watch TV on the internet. This is one of those shows I would happily pay for to keep on the air. TV needs a new revenue system. Offer a set of six episodes free, maybe with advertising, and have later stuff available for sale, by season or episode.
The paintball episode from the first season was one of the best episodes of television I can recall seeing. The one at the end of the second season wasn’t as good. And I will admit this current season felt like it was slipping somewhat. Until the episode with the multiple outcomes from the die role. That proved the show was still generating awesome.
Since I’m on the subject of TV, and it’s not worth a separate blog post, here’s an update on the new TV shows we’ve tried:
- Grimm- I’m not feeling this one. It’s not that it’s terrible or anything. It’s just ‘meh’. We’ve only watched 2 episodes, and the rest are residing on the DVR. If we do cut the cord on satellite at the new year, this isn’t one I’d pay for. If it gets better, would be willing to Netflix it.
- Once Upon a Time- I am enjoying this one. Jennifer Morrison is a good lead and Robert Carlyle is an excellent Rumplestiltskin. It’s got a bit of mystery and a feeling of Lost with the flashbacks. And the flashbacks are into a fairy tale which is fun.
- Person of Interest- This is another one that’s kind of in limbo. We’ve watched more of it than Grimm, but it hasn’t grabbed me.
- Burn Notice- This isn’t a new show, but based on a recommendation we tried it recently. It’s telling when I immediately found myself enjoying it and wanting to watch it more than Grimm or Person of Interest. Only one episode in though but liked that one.
- Freaks and Geeks- It’s an old show, and with a name like that I should like it. It wasn’t bad, enjoyed the first episode, but the next two really didn’t make me want to watch the rest of it. We still have the disks, been sitting there unwatched for about a month now.